THE START METHOD
See it and say it
Try it in a context
Apply it frequently
We are English language coaches that facilitate language learning material for students and teachers of English.
Our ethos is simple, “The best way to learn a language is by verbalizing it”.
When it comes to learning a language, we have been there and done it all. We know what works and what doesn’t. What we aim to do is provide a platform for people to learn and practice English with this easy to remember methodology.
An essential part of learning a foreign language is the method involved. It is important to learn a language in context with useful phrases. What the learner needs to do is follow a consistent process in which they identify which words and phrases they want to learn, and apply them to sentences and situations they are likely to use. The lessons in our courses a split into 15 minute bite-size chunks so that the learner can always find time for their language learning.
To make this process easier to organise, we have put it into a simple acronym.
See it, say it and write it down
Try it in useful phrases that your will actually need
Apply it to a conversation in various contexts
Repeat it so that you can actually remember it
Test it by using it in a context and internalize it
Our methodology is simple. WHAT LANGUAGE LEARNERS MUST UNDERSTAND IS THAT BEING CONSISTENT AND HAVING A STRICT LEARNING PROCESS IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. The learner should apply this simple method consistently. To make this process easier we have put it into 5 easy to remember points. When dealing with new language (vocabulary or grammar structures), the learner should:
- See it and say it to be clear about what they want to learn. There is an importance of learning by ear. You need to understand the sounds related to the language. You should learn pronunciation through imitation, self-recording and repetition.
- Try it in a context and translate (if necessary), this is essential with phrasal verbs or idioms. To remember a phrase you should put it into a phrase so that you can remember it.
- Apply it to various contexts and use it in several phrases (say it, listen to it, write it and read it). It is essential to use language frequently to help with recall.
- Review it and try to remember it. It is important to recall it frequently. You must consolidate language to internalize it.
- Test it by using it in various contexts and in real life (or exam) situations. Testing new knowledge is a key part of language learning; this determines if you can apply language when you need to.
We believe in key language learning principles:
- Motivation – enjoy the experience and have small goals that you can achieve
- Organisation – do not try to learn everything, but focus on what you need
- Application to the 4 skills (speaking, reading, writing and listening)
- Repetition and consistency are essential to achieve success
- A phrase in a context is much easier to remember than random words
- Recycling and reviewing is essential to maintain language level