Unit 8: Technology and communication
Learn about technological advancements and development.
You will be asked 8 questions. For questions 1-4, you will have 10 seconds to speak. For questions 5-8, you will have 20 seconds to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 1: answer the questions with a full answer (10-20 seconds)
- Do you own a computer?
- Are you interested in technology?
- How often do you surf the net?
- How long do you spend using your mobile per day?
- What are the pros and cons of the internet?
- How has modern technology impacted on your life?
- Are our lives easier nowadays because of technology?
- How could technology change the way we learn English?
You will see 8 sentences on the screen. You will have 10 seconds to read each sentence aloud after the tone.
Part 2: read these phrases aloud
- I surf the internet on a regular basis
- My laptop has run out of battery because I forgot my charger
- I spend way too long using my mobile
- Technology has made it a lot easier to search for information
- I can still remember a time before mobile phones
- How old were you when you bought your first computer?
- To what extent has technology improved our lives?
- I think technology has made us less sociable than we used to be
You will have 1 minute to talk about a topic. First you have 40 seconds to read the task and prepare what you have to say. You will have 1 minute to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 3: talk for one minute about this topic
Many parents complain that their teenage children overuse their mobile phone and are not very sociable.
- Age restrictions
- Advertising campaigns
- Warnings about technology at school
You will have one minute to leave a message for an English speaking friend about some information. First you have 1 minute to look at the information and prepare what you are going to say. You will have one minute to leave your message. The visual information will stay on the screen. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 4: talk for one minute about this topic
It is said that the average person spends 4.7 hours per day on their phone. Do you think we are wasting too much of our time using mobiles?
You will hear 5 questions about a topic. You have 4 seconds to read about the task. After each question, you will have 20 seconds to speak.
Part 5: answer the questions with a full answer (20 seconds)
Modern technology is very addictive and many people explain that they could not live without it. What is your opinion of technology and how it influences our live?
- sharing information
- How long do you spend using technology each day?
- What do you use your mobile phone for?
- Are you keen on buying new gadgets?
- What will be the next great technological advance?
- What are the disadvantages of technology having such a big impact on our jobs?