Unit 2: Hobbies and leisure time
Learn about free time and how to express preferences.
You will be asked 8 questions. For questions 1-4, you will have 10 seconds to speak. For questions 5-8, you will have 20 seconds to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 1: answer the questions with a full answer (10-20 seconds)
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What do you usually do in your free time?
- How long have you been doing your favourite hobby?
- How do you take advantage of your days off?
- Are video games a good use of our time?
- Do you waste a lot of your free time?
- What might be the downside of having too much spare time?
- Would you say that everyone´s life would be better if we all had more freedom to do as we wished?
You will see 8 sentences on the screen. You will have 10 seconds to read each sentence aloud after the tone.
Part 2: read these phrases aloud
- I love going on shopping trips
- The best thing to do is spend time outdoors
- I can´t stand going to Ikea, I always end up getting cross
- Do you really think that might be something that interests me?
- What do you normally get up to in your free time?
- Last time I had a free moment I went to the beach with my family and had a great time
- It is without a doubt the most exciting sport that I have ever tried
- I am eager to take up a new hobby as I am getting bored of the grind of always doing the same thing, day in and day out
You will have 1 minute to talk about a topic. First you have 40 seconds to read the task and prepare what you have to say. You will have 1 minute to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 3: talk for one minute about this topic
The key to happiness is keeping focussed and being productive. How do most people take advantage of their spare time?
- keep in shape
- learn something new
- communicate with other people
You will have one minute to leave a message for an English speaking friend about some information. First you have 1 minute to look at the information and prepare what you are going to say. You will have one minute to leave your message. The visual information will stay on the screen. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 4: talk for one minute about this topic
It is said that there is still an imbalance between loneliness and the amount of hours people spend alone. Look at the graph of hours per age group. What is your experience on the issue?
You will hear 5 questions about a topic. You have 4 seconds to read about the task. After each question, you will have 20 seconds to speak.
Part 5: answer the questions with a full answer (20 seconds)
You should give your opinion on what it means to truly master a foreign language
- the ease of traveling around
- increased job prospects
- having an interest in culture and history
- Being able to joke in the language
- having friends and building relationships
- Do you use your English every day?
- What is the best way to learn a language?
- Is it essential to enjoy learning to perfect your skills?
- What is the best way to brush up on your language skills?
- Why is it useful to learn a foreign language?