Unit 4: Travel and movement
Learn about travel, transport and how people get around.
You will be asked 8 questions. For questions 1-4, you will have 10 seconds to speak. For questions 5-8, you will have 20 seconds to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 1: answer the questions with a full answer (10-20 seconds)
- Do you enjoy traveling?
- Where do you normally go when you go away?
- Which do you prefer, going abroad or staying in your own country?
- Where did you do on holiday last year?
- What´s your favourite means of transport?
- How do you normally get around your city?
- If you could recommend just one place to visit, which would it be?
- What is the most effective way to be environmentally friendly while traveling?
You will see 8 sentences on the screen. You will have 10 seconds to read each sentence aloud after the tone.
Part 2: read these phrases aloud
- I am keen on sight seeing and visiting museums
- Do you often buy souvenirs when you are away?
- The last time I went on a city break, I stayed in a luxury hotel
- I normally get around by bike while I am traveling with friends
- The best way to see Europe is to go backpacking with friends
- If I could go to just one place in the world, I would visit Japan because my brother lives there
- Spain has some of the most diverse scenery that I have ever seen
- Cardiff is well worth a visit as it is such a vibrant city
You will have 1 minute to talk about a topic. First you have 40 seconds to read the task and prepare what you have to say. You will have 1 minute to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 3: talk for one minute about this topic
Talk about your holiday habits and how you like to travel.
- Choice of activities
You will have one minute to leave a message for an English speaking friend about some information. First you have 1 minute to look at the information and prepare what you are going to say. You will have one minute to leave your message. The visual information will stay on the screen. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 4: talk for one minute about this topic
It has become far more accessible for the general public to travel abroad over the past 2 decades, but why do people still choose to venture abroad?
You will hear 5 questions about a topic. You have 4 seconds to read about the task. After each question, you will have 20 seconds to speak.
Part 5: answer the questions with a full answer (20 seconds)
You need to give your opinion of the importance of low-impact tourism. Talk about:
- the environment
- local people
- the cost of travel nowadays
- Why do regular tourists cause damage to local areas?
- Is ecotourism becoming more popular?
- What types of people tend to travel in this way?
- Why can an increased number of tourists affect an area?
- How can people help protect natural areas?