Unit 3: Education and learning styles
Learn about education, language learning and the way we learn
You will be asked 8 questions. For questions 1-4, you will have 10 seconds to speak. For questions 5-8, you will have 20 seconds to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 1: answer the questions with a full answer (10-20 seconds)
- Do you work or are you a student?
- Do you enjoy learning English?
- Why are you learning English?
- Are you good at learning languages?
- Are you used to spending a lot of time studying?
- What was your favourite subject when you were at school?
- Is it necessary to have a native teacher to master a foreign language?
- What´s the best way to enhance your language skills?
You will see 8 sentences on the screen. You will have 10 seconds to read each sentence aloud after the tone.
Part 2: read these phrases aloud
- You live and you learn
- I think learning English will be useful for me in the future
- How long have you been learning English?
- Are you fluent in any other foreign language apart from English?
- Learning a new language is the way to bridge cultural gaps
- I think it is necessary to live in an English speaking country to learn English perfectly
- I think it is a good idea to learn to play a musical instrument as a child
- All good things come to those who wait, or so the saying goes
You will have 1 minute to talk about a topic. First you have 40 seconds to read the task and prepare what you have to say. You will have 1 minute to speak. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 3: talk for one minute about this topic
If you want to learn a language well, you have to learn consistently and practise every day.
- watch TV
- speak to a language partner
- read books
You will have one minute to leave a message for an English speaking friend about some information. First you have 1 minute to look at the information and prepare what you are going to say. You will have one minute to leave your message. The visual information will stay on the screen. Please speak for all of the time you have.
Part 4: talk for one minute about this topic
Though Spain implemented their bilingual educational program over 10 years ago now, it appears that the level of English language (EPI) is actually decreasing. What is your opinion on the issue?
You will hear 5 questions about a topic. You have 4 seconds to read about the task. After each question, you will have 20 seconds to speak.
Part 5: answer the questions with a full answer (20 seconds)
You should give your opinion on when is the best time to start learning another language.
- plasticity of the brain
- time to study
- interest in the topic
- cost of language learning
- How do children and adults learn differently?
- Why is it a good idea to start learning as a child?
- Why might adults make faster progress than teenagers?
- Is it important to enjoy the learning process?
- What encourages people to take up a foreign language?