Speaking questions for part 1 of the Cambridge C1 Advanced. This post will give you some advice for speaking part 1 and includes a free mock exam with the questions in PDF to download.
C1 ADVANCED SPEAKING EXAM: PART 1 INTERVIEW QUESTIONS (2 MINUTES)
Part 1 of the speaking exam is an interview in which the interlocutor will ask each candidate several questions about their personal, and professional experiences. The task is to be carried out individually and the candidates need to focus on a few specific points:
- Clear pronunciation: focus on individual sounds and using intonation to express meaning.
- Extension: Extend your answers (about 30 seconds) .
- Fluency and confidence
- Complex grammar: the answers need to be easy to understand, but with some complex grammar structures. Focus on mixed tenses, cleft sentences, passives, conditionals, wish, relative clauses or modal verbs.
- Advanced vocabulary: try to use some advanced words that will get the examiners attention (see the link).
How the interview works
This part of the speaking is split into two short phases.
The first phase is just personal information and the answers needn’t be longer than 15-20 seconds. The examiner will ask your names, where you live and something related to learning English.
The second phases is on various topics. They can ask you about your opinion on just about anything, but the common topics are work, education, travel, free time, people and plans for the future.
Example exam questions
Available in PDF HERE
This part of the exam lasts for about two minutes. practice asking and answering the questions with a partner.
Good morning/afternoon/evening. My name is … and this is …
And your names are?
Can I have your mark sheets, please?
First of all, we would like to know something about you.
Select two of the questions, as appropriate:
- Where are you from?
- What do you do here/there?
- How long have you been learning English?
- What do you like most about studying English?
Select one or more of the questions, as appropriate:
- What kinds of activities do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- What would you like to do for a living in the future?
- Would you say that we spend too much time working or studying?
- How do you usually keep in touch with other people?
- Do you like having parties and celebrating?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Is it more important to spend time with your family or your friends?
- Who has been the greatest influence on your life?
- Where will you be and what will you be doing in 10 years time?
- Do you know anyone who has a really cool hobby?