WHAT IS THE SENTENCE TRANSFORMATION EXERCISE?
Part 4: transformations (rephrasing) in PDF B2 USE OF ENGLISH PART 4
In this part of the exam you have six sentences to complete. You need to read the first sentence in each question. From this you need to look at the second sentence and think about what information is missing. You must then complete the second sentence so that it has the same meaning as the first with 2-5 words (NO MORE). Another thing to understand is that you are provided with a word that you must use in exactly the same form (if it is TOLD, you cannot use tell, telling or any variation of the word. ONLY TOLD). Each of the questions is worth 2 points and the points are based on lexical (vocabulary) or structural (grammatical) points. What they assess in this part of the exam are as follows:
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first, using the word given. Do not change the word given, you must use 2-5 words including the word given.
- I succeeded in getting the job thanks to my excellent interview.
I _______________ the job because of my excellent interview.
2. He said that he didn’t make mistakes at work, but we know he did,
He _______________ at work, but we know it wasn’t true.
3. My boss let me come in late as it was my birthday.
my boss _______________ in late because of my birthday.
4. Although I was busy, I still finished all my paperwork.
I finished every bit of paperwork _______________ busy.
5. He threatened to fire me if I repeated the same error.
He told _______________ me if I made the same mistake again.
6. I can’t help thinking that I am in the wrong kind of job.
I struggle _______________ that I am in the wrong kind of job.