THE MOST FREQUENTLY USED WORD PATTERNS IN ENGLISH
This post will help you to reinforce your understanding of word patterns in the English language.
Before you start to study word patterns, you need to understand what a word pattern is.
Word patterns are a word (verb, adjective, noun) + a preposition.
Do not confuse word patterns with phrasal verbs. Just because it has a preposition does not mean it is also a phrasal verb.
Phrasal verbs change in meaning and do not have a literal translation.
See our post on phrasal verbs for more information.
Frequently used word patterns: Complete the sentence with the missing preposition. (at, on, in, with, for, by, about, from, to etc)
- I apologise _____ lying to you about my past.
- I am excited _____ going to your party next week.
- I am really good _____ speaking foreign languages.
- I forgive you _____ lying to me.
- I often dream _____ being independent and having more free time.
- The health issue prevented me _____ playing in the match.
- What time do you usually arrive _____ work?
- We have seen an increase _____ the number of inscriptions.
- We are really concerned _____ the bad news.
- I rarely worry _____ things that I cannot change.
- My brother is bad _____ sports.
- Is it important to succeed _____ everything you do?
- What is the advantage _____ having a supportive family?
- I am involved _____ many different projects at university.
- I am thinking _____ having a career change.
- That is the reason _____ me being so late.
- There is a distinct lack _____ organisation in my office.
- Your success really depends _____ your amount of effort.
- I should get rid _____ my car as it is always breaking down.
- It is annoying to hear my friends complain _____ everything.
- I am quite keen _____ listening to classical music.
- Both of these topics are related _____ each other.
- At work I am responsible _____ health and safety.
- It is important to compare the first image _____ the other.
- I am fond _____ learning English in my free time.
- My students are relying _____ me to help them with the exam.
- I always listen _____ rock music that was made before 1995.
- My brother is married _____ a wonderful woman from Japan.
- You will need to provide us _____ all the course materials.
- Children should share their toys _____ each other.