Part 1: The introductory phase
The candidates are asked to give factual, personal information. The examiner will ask the candidates questions about their interests, daily lives, likes and dislikes (etc). Part 1 is split into 2 phases,
Can I have your mark sheets, please?
I’m … and this is ….
(Candidate A) What’s your name?
(Candidate B) And, what’s your name?
Do you work or are you a student?
(For UK exams) Where do you come from?
(For non-UK exams) Where do you live?
Phase 2 has several familiar topics including:
|School and education|
Now let’s talk about daily routine
- What do you do in the mornings?
- Do you get up early?
- What do you normally eat from breakfast?
- Do you have a shower every day?
Now let’s talk about home
- Who do you live with?
- Do you live in a house or a flat?
- How many bedrooms are there in your house?
- What’s your favourite room in the house?
Now let’s talk about friends
- How often do you see your friends?
- Where do your friends live?
- What do you like doing with your friends?
- Did you see your friends last weekend?
Now let’s talk about family life
- Do you have brothers or sisters?
- Is your family big?
- Who do you see more, your friends or your family?
- Did you like going on holiday with your family when you were a child?
Now let’s talk about school and education
- Do/did you like going to school?
- What is/was your favourite subject at school?
- Who is/was your favourite teacher? (Why?)
- Do you always do your homework?
Now let’s talk about sports
- How often do you do sport?
- What is your favourite sport?
- Do you like doing sport inside or outside?
- Do you go to the gym?
Now let’s talk about jobs
- Do you work or are you are student?
- What is your ideal job?
- Where do you want to work?
- What jobs do you dislike? (Why?)
Now let’s talk about holidays
- Where do you usually go on holiday?
- Who do you go on holiday with?
- How many holidays do you have every year?
- What was your best holiday? (Why?)
Now let’s talk about hobbies
- Do you have a hobby?
- Where do you normally do your hobby?
- When do you normally do your hobby?
- What is the most popular hobby in your family?
Now let’s talk about the future
- What are your plans for the future?
- Where do you want to live in the future?
- What job do you want to do?
- Will you live in your hometown in the future?