WHAT IS THE SENTENCE TRANSFORMATION EXERCISE?
Part 4: transformations (rephrasing) in PDF B2 USE OF ENGLISH PART 4
In this part of the exam you have six sentences to complete. You need to read the first sentence in each question. From this you need to look at the second sentence and think about what information is missing. You must then complete the second sentence so that it has the same meaning as the first with 2-5 words (NO MORE). Another thing to understand is that you are provided with a word that you must use in exactly the same form (if it is TOLD, you cannot use tell, telling or any variation of the word. ONLY TOLD). Each of the questions is worth 2 points and the points are based on lexical (vocabulary) or structural (grammatical) points. What they assess in this part of the exam are as follows:
Exam example 1:
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first, using the word given. Do not change the word given, you must use 2-5 words including the word given.
- If only you had made it on time, we would not have delayed the meeting.
If you ____________ time, we would not have had to delay the meeting.
2. If I were you, I’d come up with a better excuse than that.
___________, I’d think of a better excuse than that.
3. I want you to take your time, it is annoying when you always rush.
I wish you ____________ your time, it is so annoying when you rush.
4. When I go shopping, I will buy something expensive.
I will ____________ when I go shopping.
5. If it were up to me, I would take a break.
I would take a break if I _______________.
6. Unless you follow my instructions, you won’t be successful.
If you don’t ____________ instructions, you won’t be successful.