The basis of the English language is in understanding its verbs and how we can form sentences.
We can form to be with the full form I am or the contraction I´m
Present simple: Subject + verb
- We use the present simple to talk about habitual actions
I always brush my teeth at 7am
- We use the present simple to talk about routines
I start work at 8am every day
- We use the present simple to talk about permanent situations
I work in a language school in Spain
- We use the present simple to talk about truths
Water boils at 100ºC
Adverbs of frequency:
Adverbs of frequency are used to talk about the frequency with which we do certain actions. They are essential for talking about daily routines and the present day.
*Be careful with word order. Between the subject and verb
I am always tired when I finish work.
He isn´t usually late for school.
You never get up at 5:00 am.
We almost never make dinner for our parents.
See our post on adverbs of frequency HERE
Present continuous: Subject + be + gerund
- We use the present continuous to talk about actions in progress now
I am writing a new article for the Guardian right now
- We use the present continuous to talk about temporary situations
I am currently doing a German course at upverb
- We use the present continuous to talk about annoying situations
You are always arriving late to work
- We use the situations to talk about amusing situations
You are always telling the funniest stories
We do not usually use the present continuous for stative verbs: