Within English grammar there can be some confusing points with relation to similar expressions (used to, be used to and get used to) for example. The best way to improve your understanding of these points is to put them into practical examples and also to review them in a consistent manner. See our grammar exercised HERE
Let´s look into the intricate differences between these points:
USED TO = PAST HABITS/ROUTINES THAT ARE NO LONGER TRUE
The conjugation of used to is simple as it does not change in the affirmative, but be careful with the negative and interrogative as the USED loses the D = USE TO
I/YOU/HE/SHE/IT/THEY/WE used to + verb
I used to play rugby in my free time (, but now I don´t)
I/YOU/HE/SHE/IT/THEY/WE didn´t use to + verb
I didn´t use to get upset about problems at work (, but now I do)
Did + I/YOU/HE/SHE/IT/THEY/WE use to + verb?
Did you use to learn foreign languages in your free time?
*A SYNONMY OF USED TO IS WOULD. But would is a little more formal and only used for actions.
I used to do more exercise than I do now.
I would do more exercise than I do now.
Study this example:
I used to have a blue Ford Escort.
I would have a blue Ford Escort.
USUALLY = normally
Check out our post about adverbs of frequency to use this effectively HERE
I usually go shopping once a week
BE USED TO (ING) – be accustomed to
To use this tense effectively, it is a simple question of conjugating the verb to be in the present. For instance; I am used to… You are used to… He/She/It is used to
I am used to shopping every day.
I am not used to working long hours.
Are you used to getting your own way all the time?
USE TO = does not exist
Instead we use TEND TO = I tend to get good grades on standardized tests.
(MODAL) GET USED TO (ING) – become accustomed to
I will/could get used to jogging in the mornings.
I won´t/couldn´t get used to living in a foreign country.
Could you get used to speaking a foreign language on a daily basis?
Try practising with these speaking questions:
- Did you use to watch too much TV as a child?
- Would you argue frequently with your siblings?
- Did you use to read books for fun?
- Are you used to getting up early in the morning every day?
- Are you used to doing sport daily?
- Are your family used to spending a lot of time together?
- Could you get used to living abroad?
- Will you get used to travelling abroad every summer?
- Could you get used to speaking in a foreign language all the time?
- Would you like to get used to working abroad in an international business?