This post will explain grammar related to preferences. It is essential to understand the gerund and infinitive to get this grammar right. It also contains a speaking exercise for preferences.
In English we have various ways of talking about our preferences and expressing why we choose some things over others. We use preferences to explain what we like more than other thinks. Just like withe likes and dislikes, we have various synonyms for prefer. As well as having various words for choose (pick, select, go for) to be able to talk about our choices.
A great way to advance in your language skills is to use several synonyms. take a look at our vocabulary section for more key English vocabulary.
You should also study comparatives to talk about preferences
Study the different ways of saying prefer:
Prefer + ing = I prefer watching TV to listening to music
Would prefer + infinitive = I would prefer to read than draw
Would rather + bare infinitive = I would rather run than swim
Enjoy something more than something else = I enjoy eating chips more than eating mash
Like something more than something else = I like walking more than cycling
Have a preference for something = I have a preference for going to the cinema
Be keener on something = I am keener on learning German
Be fonder of something = I am fonder of listening to music
Have more of an interest in something = I have more of an interest in buying a new phone
Take more of a shine to something = I have taken more of a shine to the red pen
Be more of a fan of something = I am more of a fan of Italian food
Be bigger on something = I am bigger on eating out in restaurants
BE CAREFUL: PREFER + BARE INFINITIVE DOES NOT EXIST
I prefer play video games than read
You should also study gerunds and infinitives to talk about preferences
Here are some questions for you to practice (additional questions HERE)
- Do you prefer reading the news or watching it on TV?
- Would you prefer to travel alone or with your family?
- Would you rather spend your money on clothes or on something else?
- Do you enjoy water sports more than ball sports?
- Are you keener on reading fiction or nonfiction books?
- Do you have a preference for any food over the rest?
- Were you fonder of any hobby as a child than you are now?
- Have you ever taken a shine to a career prospect?
- Are you more of a fan or learning any language other than English?
- Are you bigger on traveling abroad or staying in your own country?
DOWNLOAD THESE QUESTIONS HERE
ALL OF THIS IS LINKED TO EXPRESSING LIKES AND DISLIKES HERE
[…] For some speaking practice on the topic of opinions, see HERE and HERE […]