What are you searching for?
Speaking Part 1 (updated 2020): In part one there are two phases. The first is a script and the questions never change. The second is based on familiar topics and the candidate needs to talk about opinions and extend answers. It is very important to extend answers, in part one of the exam, you are expected to answer for 20-30 seconds. The best way to do this is to talk about your opinion or likes and dislikes. This can be incorporated into any topic and is easy to practice.
Question. How long have you been studying English?
Answer. I started studying English last year because I want to go to university. I am keen on learning English because it is fun and I like my teacher because he is very funny and intelligent.
EXAMPLE PHASE ONE EXERCISE:
Good morning/afternoon/evening. Can I have your mark sheets, please?
Hand over the mark sheets to the Assessor.
I’m ………… and this is ………… .
What’s your name? Where do you live/come from? Thank you.
And what’s your name? Where do you live/come from? Thank you.
Do you work or are you a student?
What do you do/study?
Familiar topics for B1 Preliminary
|Time and daily routine|
|Leisure time and hobbies|
|Working and earning|
|Travel and tourism|
|Science, nature and our world|
|Education and learning|
|People and relationships|
|Health and lifestyle|
|Buying and selling|
|Eating and drinking|
EXAMPLE PHASE TWO QUESTIONS:
In phase 2 of the speaking, the candidates need to answer two questions from these topics. Your answers should be for about 20 seconds and you should try to include a first conditional, second conditional, modal verbs, wish. For further speaking topics for B1 level exams, click HERE
- What time do you normally get up in the morning?
- What do you normally eat for breakfast?
- Are you a fan of studying languages in your spare time?
- How often do you meet friends and go out?
- Are you fond of going to the cinema with friends?
- Are you keen on doing sport to stay healthy in your free time?
- Do you normally spend your free time with friends or alone?
- Where do you like to relax in your free time?
- Do you ever listen to music while you are relaxing?
- How often do you meet friends to go out at weekends?
FOR EXTRA SPEAKING HELP SPEAKING EXAM
- Which job would you hate to have and why?
- Which job would you most like to do in the future?
- Do you commute to work or do you live in the same city?
- How old will you be when you retire in the future?
- Are you planning on changing job in the future?
- Where did you go on holiday last year?
- Do you enjoy sightseeing when on holiday?
- Where are you planning on going on holiday next summer?
- Would you like to try surfing in the future?
- Which is your favourite city that you have visited?
FOR EXTRA SPEAKING HELP HERE
- Do you recycle plastic at home? Why (not)?
- What are some types of pollution in your country?
- Name some ways that you can reduce pollution in this country?
- What can we do to help prevent pollution in our country?
- What could you do to make this world a better and cleaner place to live in?
1. Did you use to like going to school as a child?
2. How did you use to get to school?
3. What is your current English teacher like?
4. Are you good at learning languages or do you find it hard?
5. Are you planning on doing another course soon?
FOR EXTRA SPEAKING HELP HERE
- Are you fond of watching TV in your spare time?
- Are you eager to improve your English at the moment?
- Would you be interested in studying a degree in languages?
- Do you have an interesting job or is it boring?
- Do you ever cry about things that you hate doing?
- Are you good at doing sport or do you only do it for fun?
- What is your favourite sport and why?
- Have you ever tried a dangerous sport?
- When was the last time you played football?
- Are you keen on team sports like rugby or basketball?
FOR EXTRA SPEAKING WITH PHRASAL VERBS HELP HERE
- When was the last time you went shopping to buy clothes?
- Are you going to go shopping this weekend or do you have better plans?
- What is the most expensive thing you have ever bought?
- Have you ever wasted a lot of money on something useless?
- Do you usually spend a lot of money on food?
- Have you ever eaten a really disgusting food while you were on holiday?
- Are you keen on eating seafood or do you prefer meat?
- How often do you eat chocolate and sweets?
- Did you use to eat lots of sweets as a child or did you prefer fruit?
- What is your favourite drink to order when you go to a bar?