What are you searching for?
This post provides example questions for part 1 of the B2 First speaking exam. For material in the other parts of the exam, click on the buttons below.
Interview (part 1) 2 minutes: The examiner will ask you questions individually and you need to answer with extended answers or about 30 seconds. The questions are simple but you need to elaborate your answers and make them more interesting to show you can develop, when we develop answers we show confidence with language use. Link everything to your opinion and personal experiences. The important thing is to show that you want to participate and are willing to speak.
There are two phases. The first the examiners will introduce themselves and then ask for your names. You need to give a short response to permit the personal information. After they will ask you where you are from, again, they desire a short but complete answer.
EXAMPLE PHASE ONE EXERCISE:
Good morning/afternoon/evening. My name is… and this is…
And your names are?
Can I have your mark sheets, please?
You are no longer asked
Where are you from?
(Candidate A) Where are you from? (Candidate B) Where do you live?
Example phase 2 questions
Topics for speaking at (B2 FIRST) level: DOWNLOAD THESE QUESTIONS HERE
|Hobbies and free time|
|Travel and getting around|
|Education and learning styles|
|Work and obligations|
|Money and shopping|
|Eating and drinking|
|Health and fitness|
|People and their lives|
|Technological advances, communication and the media|
|Wildlife and the environment|
|Life, crime and society|
For extra speaking practice for B2 level exam, click HERE
Hobbies and free time
- What do you normally do to keep busy in your free time?
- Is it healthy to spend your leisure time doing what you enjoy?
- Would you rather stay in or go out?
- Would you say that you are an outgoing person?
- Have you done anything fun in the last few weeks?
- How often do you work out in your free time?
- When was the last time you tried something new and exciting?
- How has the way we spend our free time changed in recent years?
- How do you think your free time will change when you have kids?
- Where do you normally spend your spare time?
- Is travelling an important part of your life?
- How often do you go on trips?
- Are you arranging any trips at the moment?
- Have you ever been abroad? Where?
- If you were going to travel the world, would you prefer to do it alone or with friends?
- How has the way we book our holidays changed over recent years?
- If you went abroad this summer, where might you go?
- Do you wish you could travel more?
- If you were going to go backpacking, what would you need to take?
- Do you generally go on holiday abroad or stay in your own country?
- Have you got a university degree? If not, why not?
- Do you enjoy learning languages or do you prefer other topics?
- What is the best way to learn something new?
- Did you use to enjoy studying on your own as a child?
- Is it easy to get used to doing a new skill?
- Are you going to take up a new course in the future?
- Would you say that it is essential to get a degree in today´s society?
- Have you ever failed an important exam?
- Are you the kind of person who spends a long time studying for exams?
- Why are you studying English at the moment?
- Would you prefer to work or be a student?
- Should we get a job that you enjoy?
- What motivates you more, having a challenging job or earning lots of money?
- What would you work as in your ideal job?
- Would you like to set up your own business in the future?
- Have you ever worked in a job that you couldn´t stand?
- Are you a very dedicated person when you have to work on something?
- Do you tend to take many breaks while you are working?
- How long have you been doing your current job?
- Have you ever been unemployed for a long period of time?
1. Would you say that money is the key to a person´s happiness?
2. Do you prefer buying things online or in actual shops?
3. What is the most fashionable thing to buy nowadays?
4. Do you spend most of your money on luxuries or save it up?
5. If you had all the money in the world, would you change your spending
6. Do you ever spend above your means?
7. Do you enjoy the act of shopping?
8. Who do you usually hit the shops with?
9. Have you ever had a nightmare shopping experience?
10. Do you feel that you have enough money to do the things you want?
- What is the best way to spend your free time if you have unlimited resources?
- Are you good at organising your time to get lots of things done?
- Would you like to do full-time or part-time work in the future?
- What part of your routine do you consider to be a complete waste of time?
- What are your future plans when you finish your studies?
- How has your life changed over the last few years and why?
- Where do you think you will be, and what will you be doing in 20 years time?
- What do you usually do on your birthday?
- How could you save time in your daily routine?
- When you organize something, do you normally plan ahead?
Eating and drinking
- How often should a healthy person eat fast food?
- What foods do you like eating least and why?
- Are there any foods that you try to avoid eating because they are unhealthy?
- Do you enjoy cooking at home or eating out with other people?
- Do you consider yourself a fussy or a picky eater?
- Would you have liked to become a chef?
- Which type of food from your country is most popular abroad?
- Do you know how to cook? Which is the best way to learn?
- Do you enjoy trying unusual food or do you stick to the same foods?
- If you could open your own foreign restaurant in your city, what would it be like?
FOR EXTRA SPEAKING HELP SPEAKING AT FCE with FREE PDF MOCK EXAM
Health and fitness
- What do you do to keep fit and healthy nowadays?
- Is it a good idea to have a health check at the doctors once a year?
- How can you avoid getting ill when the weather is bad?
- When you feel sick, who do you call?
- What is the best way to unwind when you feel stressed?
- Which is worse for you, smoking or drinking alcohol?
- What are the advantages of getting regular exercise?
- How often should you work out?
- Are you interested in knowing how to stay in shape?
- Would you ever go to the doctor even though you didn´t feel ill?
People and their lives
- Which person has had the biggest influence on your life?
- What are you a fan of doing with your friends?
- Where do you prefer to hang out with your friends?
- Have you done anything interesting with your friends recently?
- Who do you take after in your family?
- Do you and your friends have a lot in common and agree on things?
- Who is the most annoying person in your family and why?
- What is the most memorable thing that you have done in your life?
- Do you prefer to spend time alone or share experiences with other people?
- Tell me a little about your oldest friend. (known for the longest time)
- Are you fond of buying gadgets?
- Tell us about the best invention of recent times.
- Have you ever tried to design something technological?
- Are you into playing computer games?
- Do you use the internet much?
- Is the internet a useful tool for studying?
- What do you use the internet for?
- Do you ever listen to the radio or is it now obsolete?
- What do you think is the worst invention of recent times?
- Have you ever spent a lot of money on a useless gadget?
- Do you ever worry about the environment in your local area?
- What are the biggest environmental problems in the world in this day and age?
- Do you think that there will be a problem with clean water in your country?
- What can normal people do to help save the environment?
- What do you actually do to help the environment in your local area? explain.
- Do you, your friends or your family recycle plastic, paper and glass?
- Is recycling an obligation in your country?
- What are the main environmental issues affecting your country at the moment?
- How has the weather changed in your country in recent years?
- What kind of animals and plants live in the area in which you live?
FOR EXTRA SPEAKING HELP Why it is essential to have a language learning partner
- Do you drink and drive?
- Have you ever committed a crime?
- Do you know anyone who has been mugged or robbed?
- Do you know someone who has been a victim of a violent crime?
- Are there any parts of this country that are more dangerous than others? Why?
- Are there any places you are afraid to visit because of the high crime rate? If so, where?
- Would you ever take illegal drugs?
- Are there problems with drugs where you live?
- Should people who take illegal drugs be put in jail?
- Are there any crimes that should not be illegal?
- How much money do you usually spend on clothes a year?
- Is the way you dress important?
- What does the way you dress say about your personality?
- Do you make your own clothes?
- Would you like to be able to design your own clothes?
- What items of clothing are worth spending a lot of money on?
- Are there any brands of clothing that you would never wear?
- Do you think that a models job is difficult?
- Would you like to work in a clothes shop?
- Do you need talent to be a fashion designer?
FOR EXTRA SPEAKING HELP Advice for speaking better during Cambridge oral exams
- When was the last time that you stood up for a friend who was in trouble?
- Who do you look up to?
- How often do you fall out with your friends or family?
- Do you pick on your siblings?
- Have you ever put down your best friend?
- Which teacher do you get on with best?
- Have you ever fallen for a celebrity?
- Do you ever look down on your friends if they make big mistakes?
- Do you always make up with friends after an argument?
- What can´t you put up with in your day to day life?
DOWNLOAD THIS POST IN PDF HERE
[…] EXTRA EXAM HELP LOOK AT STARTER SPEAKING QUESTIONS – CAMBRIDGE (FCE) B2 LEVEL AND Advice for speaking better during Cambridge oral […]
[…] FOR MORE INFORMATION SEE STARTER SPEAKING QUESTIONS – CAMBRIDGE (FCE) B2 LEVEL […]
[…] STARTER SPEAKING QUESTIONS – CAMBRIDGE (FCE) B2 LEVEL […]
[…] FCE – FCE EXAM TIPS HERE, FCE SPEAKING EXAMPLES HERE […]
[…] For further questions at B2 level, click the link HERE […]
Wow! THANK YOU very much for this extensive list. It has been really helpful for me and my classmates. I can’t believe no comments have been sent before.This post deserves many.
Thanks for your kind words. The post is very popular but we have only recently allowed comments to be made.